Words of Lizzardie




Tuesday, August 28, 2007

I am behind on posting. Let's see if I can start to get caught up.

A little over a week ago I went up to Maine, where I met up with Kristen, Kim, Cheryl and Kristen's mom for the Maine Highland Games. If you're unfamiliar with what the Highland Games are, think bagpipes and men in kilts throwing really heavy objects (there are also women in kilts throwing heavy objects, but that's not the picture I have in my head from the weekend).

For example:

More Kilts!  And bagpipes!



We camped on the grounds where the festival was. This was a little better than I thought it was going to be, but still wasn't the GREATEST night's sleep, either night. I brought fleece pajamas, so I wasn't cold, and thankfully had both flip flops and tennis shoes, because my tennis shoes got soaked overnight. Five people in a tent is surprisingly not that uncomfortable - it's really the hard ground that me.

Saturday morning we went to this cute little diner, and then on to the festival. In addition to the bagpipes, kilts and heavy object throwing, there was a sheepdog herding demonstration, little girl Highland dancers, a little tent with carding, spinning and knitting, highland cattle and lots of "fair" things to buy, including Scottish meat pies. The five of us took part in the haggis hurl and rolling pin toss, and we generally just walked around and looked at all the sites. I enjoyed a Bridie (seasoned meat pie), sweet potato chips I watched them cut on this cool spiral thing and then fry and an apple crisp with ice cream and whipped cream. It was all yummy.

If you want to see more pictures, they're here.

After the festival, we went to play cards at our campsite, and then made a trip to Wal-Mart (where we all found several flavors of Vitamin Water to tempt us) and then to this cool drive-in restaurant. It was fun to have them come to the car, take our order, and then bring the tray out to the car so that we could eat. It was a little cramped in Cheryl's car, but we made do - I had fried clams, which are one of my favorite foods during the summer.

On Sunday, we headed to Freeport to do some shopping, and spent a great deal of time at the L.L. Bean "mall" which was rather impressive. I was happy to get my shopping in there, so that I didn't have to stop in Kittery later on.

All in all, it was a fun weekend with the girls. I think I was a little disappointed, just because I'd heard Kristen, Cheryl and Susan all talk it up so much, and maybe it didn't live up to expectations. But other than the shopping, it was a very inexpensive little trip.

I'll have to write about this past weekend tomorrow....

- Lizzardie, at 2:32 PM Post Link


People I Know:

Bolcar's Website Cat's Blog
Chris's Photos
Dan's LiveJournal
Vinny's Xanga
Your Name Here! :-)

Upcoming Events:

3/24 - 3/30
Atlanta/Savannah, GA?

Favorite Sites:

Cast-On
Deals2Buy
Facebook
Google News
Knitty
SilverJewelryClub
SpoilerFix
USCHO
woot!

More Liz:

Site Feed
Lizzardie Knits
Flickr

Archives:

2008:
February
January

2007:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2006:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2005:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2004:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2003:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2002:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2001:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May





This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com