Words of Lizzardie




Sunday, November 05, 2006

Well, another week goes by, and October is gone! Yikes! I'm really not sure where the time went.

I THINK work is about to pick up steam, and I won't be sitting around doing nothing this week. I have all of the tools to teach myself SPSS (stats software that I've never used but shouldn't have a problem with), and data finally came through (one week late) for the project I'm on. Plus I have a book to read on "logic in writing" and "logic in presenting" for consulting. Okay, that part isn't terribly interesting. On Thursday, Corinne put me to work on the United Way stocking project (we, as in the company, have 15 stockings to fill for low-income families for Christmas) - I made a list of about 80 things that could go into the stockings, and then tried to figure out which age groups and genders they were appropriate for. I like that they do a lot of things for charity there.

Tuesday was Halloween - I never did find anything fun to do for Halloween, so no costume this year (which I'm sort of relieved about). I did however get to hand out candy to the adorable trick-or-treaters, which is always fun. They were so cute! And they took most of the candy I bought (which is a relief, because I would have otherwise eaten a ton of it). The rest of the candy I brought into work, where I'm sure it will pull a quick disappearing act.

Friday night was spent down in Providence to see the Cornell at Brown hockey game. There was a good cheering section for Cornell (surprise surprise) and the pep band was there (Kathy pointed out that our pep band was the same size as Brown's pep band, it's still football season and they had a game at Cornell the next day). Cornell came out victorious, but it was not an easy road - I have never seen so many penalties! The Cornell fans started to cheer "Worst ref ever" towards the end of the game, and it certainly was crazy, but I'm wondering if the teams were just playing each other REALLY hard. We could hear people making up random penalties - "too much 5 on 5 time," "looking at the ref cross-eyed," etc... - there was AT MOST 13 minutes of 5 on 5 hockey that entire game. And the penalties minutes JUST FOR BROWN added up to more than the 60 minutes (the entire length of the game, for those that don't know). Fun game, overall, though, and I can't wait for Cornell at Harvard hockey - I just wish I could go to see a game at Lynah again sometime - nothing beats that.

I stayed over at Kathy's Friday night, because the last commuter rail train back to Boston left at 9:42 - could have made it, but what's the point (I actually would have done it if I hadn't forgotten my cell phone at work - I needed to pick it up and didn't want to do so that late at night). We went to the restaurant in the basement of Kathy's building (which looks like a hotel and has a concierge) and it was fantastic! I had butternut squash ravioli with brown butter sauce, walnuts, peas and chicken in a marsala sauce - weird combination, but really amazing. Kathy had spaghetti and meatballs - nothing special but incredibly delicious. And we had a bottle of one of my favorite chiantis - the Ruffino Aziano. I so wish I had grabbed every bottle of the 2001 vintage of this wine when it was readily available. For dessert, we both had carrot cake - I was skeptical of Kathy's claim that the carrot cake was amazing, but she was so so right. With cinnamon cream cheese frosting on the bottom, two layers of carrot cake separated by ice cream, more cinnamon cream cheese frosting and fresh whipped cream, garnished with some orange things, it was easily the best carrot cake I have ever had. Yummm.

Saturday morning, we hit the yarn store right near Kathy's apartment - she lives in this incredibly cute square with incredibly cute shops. The yarn store didn't hold much interest for me, though, so I decided to do the yarn store "tour" - I went to Windsor Button in Boston near Park St. and then to Woolcott & Co. in Harvard Square. I had previous been disappointed in Windsor Button, but they have some yarns I've been looking for, so I'll definitely be back. and I love Woolcott - plus they have Anne, the sock yarn that comes from Interlaken!

Last Sunday I went over to Jeff and Kristen's to watch football and eat chili. They got me a pattern book and some aran tweed wool from Ireland. I'm going to use the wool to make felted flowers that I will put on a felted purse, I think. I found this really cute purse pattern and a fantastic spring green yarn (which I got at Windsor Buttong - and the aran wool is magenta - very bright). I can't wait to start on that project.

I haven't been talking that much about knitting recently, and that's because I'm super busy with gift knitting. Most of the gift knitting is for my family, and they don't read this, but I still don't want to give away anything about the presents, just in case. After Christmas, though, there should be a whirlwind of pictures somewhere, and I'm starting I might break things off a little - maybe start a knitting only blog, where I can better keep track of my projects, and not necessarily bore my friends to death. We'll see.

And here's an article, sent to me by Herb, that should be interesting to just about anyone. Like knitting or crocheting? Interested in research out of Cornell? What about hyperbolic geometry? A fan of Discover magazine? Read this article! :-D

- Lizzardie, at 8:41 AM Post Link


People I Know:

Bolcar's Website Cat's Blog
Chris's Photos
Dan's LiveJournal
Vinny's Xanga
Your Name Here! :-)

Upcoming Events:

3/24 - 3/30
Atlanta/Savannah, GA?

Favorite Sites:

Cast-On
Deals2Buy
Facebook
Google News
Knitty
SilverJewelryClub
SpoilerFix
USCHO
woot!

More Liz:

Site Feed
Lizzardie Knits
Flickr

Archives:

2008:
February
January

2007:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2006:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2005:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2004:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2003:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2002:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2001:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May





This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com