Words of Lizzardie




Tuesday, August 15, 2006

First things first: new knitting pictures have been uploaded to Flickr, if you have any interest. There are some socks, Boris's cape, Corinne's birthday present and Kristen's shower present.

Now then. Thank goodness this week is Restaurant Week, because I think I might otherwise take someone's head off. Nothing really major going on, but my job is really frustrating me these days. I get small little glimpses that things could maybe possibly improve, but then there are much bigger setbacks that make me question what on earth I'm doing. I suppose it's just a part of life.

Restaurant Week at least gives me something to look forward to, though! Last night was my first reservation - Kathy and I went to Icarus. First I went to Paper Source to pick up thank you cards (it's going to be a lot of fun to make these - I just have to find the time!), and then I met up with Kathy. She gave me my birthday present (a trucker-style Cubs hat, purchased in Chicago - the style is strange, but at least to me it is unique and I would be hard-pressed to find it outside of Chicago, so mission accomplished - and Giada's Everyday Italian cookbook - I took a quick look through it this morning, and the recipes look easy and wonderful, and it has the pasta primavera recipe I love in it, so I'm excited - maybe it's just what I need to start cooking again!), and then we wandered around for awhile looking for the restaurant. Neither of us had bothered to figure out exactly where it was, so we had fun wandering around the Theatre District and the South End, holding a map and looking like tourists. :-)

Once we found the restaurant, we were a little early, so we sat at the bar, and drank a glass of wine - both of us had a glass of Reisling (2004 Hyatt, Washington State). The food was wonderful, and was made even more so by getting the full wine pairing to accompany it - a glass of wine with each course! We both had the chilled cucumber soup with salmon for the first course, which came with a glass of Gewurztraminer (2005 Montinore, Willamette Valley - I think). The soup was really yummy and the wine had great grapefruit flavors. Kathy and I both had the same main course as well - flank steak (served perfectly rare) with blue cheese, balsamic vinegar, potatoes and a red onion salad, which came with a glass of Shiraz (2004 Graham Beck "Railroad Red" Reserve, South Africa). The steak was incredible and the wine was nice and spicy. And for dessert, Kathy had chocolate cake and I had Profiteroles (puff pastry) with vanilla ice cream, hot fudge and almonds - both were served with Muscat (Bonny Doon Vin de Glaciere). It was all so yummy, and I at least was so nicely buzzed after 4 glasses of wine (in case any of you were wondering, I did not memorize the producers and vintages - I know which types of wine I had and am relying on the restaurant's website for the rest).

Tonight is Monica's, in the North End. I've never been there, and they do not have their prix fixe menu up, but apparently they're known for their homemade pasta and I'm also looking forward to some yummy red Italian wine. :-)

- Lizzardie, at 12:22 PM Post Link


People I Know:

Bolcar's Website Cat's Blog
Chris's Photos
Dan's LiveJournal
Vinny's Xanga
Your Name Here! :-)

Upcoming Events:

3/24 - 3/30
Atlanta/Savannah, GA?

Favorite Sites:

Cast-On
Deals2Buy
Facebook
Google News
Knitty
SilverJewelryClub
SpoilerFix
USCHO
woot!

More Liz:

Site Feed
Lizzardie Knits
Flickr

Archives:

2008:
February
January

2007:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2006:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2005:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2004:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2003:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2002:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2001:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May





This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com