Words of Lizzardie




Sunday, June 18, 2006

It's hot and I'm tired. So I might as well just sit at my computer (small change from normal) and say hello. Since it's been so long, I'll break things into categories.

Work: sucks. I try not to post about work too much - I work for a company that monitors blogs for other companies, so I know better than most people that what you say on the internet can get you into trouble. I don't really fear that what I say here will get me fired, but I still like to be careful. With that caveat, work sucks. :-) We're busier than ever (way overbooked for July, and I already have 3 report sets that need to be done this coming week and this is NOT the busy season), we're shorthanded (particularly with my manager's departure last week) and I'm not as interested in what I do anymore. I want to grow in my position (or grow into a better position, as it were), but it's hard to do that when the most important thing of getting through existing client deliverables takes up nearly all of your time. I've taken over my a lot of my manager's projects, as well as scheduling for the department (with my boss's , which is good (but makes me even busier), but I'm somewhat anxious about what's going to happen in the coming months. I guess I'll just have to patiently wait, do the best I can and try and figure out what it is that I want for myself professionally, and go from there.

Knitting: More now than ever all I do is knit when I'm at home. Instead of devoting posts to project, I think I'm going to just put some pictures (and project details) up on Flickr, so if you're interested, you can look there. If you're not interested, then you don't have to look at them. Right now I'm working on another tank top/camisole (and have yarn for others), as well as some dishcloths (which make good summer knitting - they're small and made from cotton - plus I found ridiculously cheap yarn for them). I also knit my first bag this weekend, which is really cute (I borrowed from the dishcloth cotton stash I bought last weekend) and a quick knit, and finished some socks last weekend. If I ever get around to sending the scarves I knit for the family, I'll post those, too. Since one of the things I really love about knitting is how relaxing I find it, I'm TRYING to explore that a little more, with the help of Mindful Knitting, but I'm having trouble getting in the right mindset for it. I'll need to put more effort into this, if I want to be more successful.

Food: I spent a lot of time eating out this week. It's nice to go out to dinner, it's not nice that it means I'm not at home to cook food and also have to eat out for lunch. I should have cooked on Sunday of last week, but I failed. Anyhow, Monday night I went to Fire & Ice in Harvard Square with Corinne, Ron and some of Corinne's high school friends. For those not familiar with Fire & Ice, it's a Mongolian grill restaurant. Buffet style, you fill up little bowls with what you want - noodles, meat, veggies, sauce, etc... (they even have a hamburger station), and then get in line for the grill to watch them cook your food(just like the Mongolian grill at RPU, except more variety). Also just like RPU, it takes FOREVER. I went up twice, and also got a salad, and might have gone for something else, but I just didn't feel like waiting. I also felt the food was a little overcooked, but I guess that's the nature of experience (they do 20+ people at a time). The food was decent, but it's definitely not a place I think I'll be frequenting. Tuesday night I went to Bambara, near the Cambridgeside Galleria, with Corinne, Susan and Gene (friend of Corinne's from UNH). This was really quite tasty - yummy whole wheat bread up front, and then I had grilled filet of beef, which was served with Mesculan greens, blue cheese, fried artichokes and a currant sauce on top of a slice of toast. It was super tasty, though it took them a long time to bring the entrees. They told us after awhile that they'd had a big party, and if I'd known that, I might have gotten an appetizer because I was STARVING, but I ended up being pretty happy with my meal. After dinner, we headed over to the Cheesecake Factory for dessert, which was rather disappointing. We had them seat us outside (we'd been outside at Bambara, too), and when we told them we just wanted dessert, the waitress was clearly disappointed (right after that, one of the food runners came up with bread and set it on the table, but she sorta snapped that we were just there for dessert and he took it right off the table - amusing but also put me off a little). It then took a very long time for them to bring four slices of cheesecake and two coffee drinks, which seems somewhat inexcusable. The cheesecake was good, but not outstanding, and I was left wishing we had gone to Davis Square to get ice cream, which was the original plan. Rounding out the food, on Wednesday, which was Day 2 of 3 of eating out for lunch (each coming a night after I'd gone out), I headed to Strip T's, which is this little restaurant near my work, and I typically find disappointing (and expensive, which is why I hardly ever go there). To my delight, though, they had a fried whole clam meal, which made my day - I'd been craving fried whole clams since I'd had them at Summer Shack the week before. Mmmm, fried seafood. :-)

Friends: Last Saturday was Susan's party, which at least for me, was better than her last party, if only because I was able to walk around and socialize. There were less people, but I don't really mind, because it meant being able to get around. The theme of the party of Mudslides, Mohitos and Margaritas, which was cute and summery, but the chilly, rainy weather was a little ironic. It made me want to have a party, since Jamie and I never did (housewarming party a year after we moved in, anyone?). I'll have to try and figure out when the landlord is going on vacation, and maybe have a party then, OR see if Jamie wants to have a joint birthday party, since our birthdays are so close (August - I'd wanted to do this last year, but just wasn't feeling in a party mood at the time so I never even tried). We'll see. Also in the friend front, Chris (Goo) was in town, sorta, to visit Dana, so he and Dana came to poker on Wednesday (where I played horribly). It was nice to see them, and I hope they enjoyed the poker game (since given that they were a little late and there were a ton of people this week, we didn't get to talk too much).

Brief things: I'm happy that I'm not crazy and the internet was ACTUALLY not working at my apartment. The RCN guys came out today (how is an emergency appointment anytime between 8am and 7pm on a Sunday?) and replaced the modem. Woot! now has a site dedicated to wine, which is awesome. I got new curtains, which are the same as my roommates, except in a different color (I have sage, she has burgundy) - our apartment continues in its monotone color theme (every room has sage, cream/gold and/or burgundy in it). It's hot. I'm sleepy. I wish I had air conditioning. :-)

- Lizzardie, at 2:56 PM Post Link


People I Know:

Bolcar's Website Cat's Blog
Chris's Photos
Dan's LiveJournal
Vinny's Xanga
Your Name Here! :-)

Upcoming Events:

3/24 - 3/30
Atlanta/Savannah, GA?

Favorite Sites:

Cast-On
Deals2Buy
Facebook
Google News
Knitty
SilverJewelryClub
SpoilerFix
USCHO
woot!

More Liz:

Site Feed
Lizzardie Knits
Flickr

Archives:

2008:
February
January

2007:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2006:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2005:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2004:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2003:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2002:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2001:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May





This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com