Words of Lizzardie




Tuesday, May 16, 2006

I just sent out some revised reports, and for the first time in quite a long time (more than a month, which is a long time around here), I do not feel like I have things hanging over me at work. It's a nice feeling. I'm going to take some time off of work next week, I think, which will make me feel even better. I hope it's nice out.

So I've promised you a nice long post about what I've been doing, other than working (the main job - there have been some side things, which I'll talk about), so here at least is part of it. I've been knitting, of course - it's the only thing that keeps me sane. I've also been drinking. A lot, actually - it almost feels like I'm in college again! There have been many weekends of late where I go out Friday night(usually with Herb and Elenka), drink a lot, stumble into bed and then spend all day Saturday hungover, knitting and watching TV. Of course this means that when Sunday comes, I start freaking out because I haven't done ANYTHING all weekend, and there are things that need to get done. But that's how it goes.

To give you an idea of how much stress I was under at work, let me outline a particular night during the April craziness. It was Wednesday, and I had a ton of reports due on Friday. There were other reports that needed to be done, too - not by Friday, but soon after. I'd spent the previous weekend working. I knew I'd be spending the coming weekend working. And I stayed at work until about 7:30pm, didn't go home and went straight to the bar to play poker (the Wednesdays when I go straight to poker are never good days, let me tell you). I walked into the bar, ordered my usual gin & tonic (Bombay Sapphire, of course), and downed it within 10 minutes. I am not exaggerating when I say that Herb came up to me to say HELLO, clinked glasses with me, and that was the end of my first drink. I never do this - I usually nurse my first drink for the first hour and a half - I like to be coherent during the poker game. Anyhow, I immediately ordered another drink, and by the end of the night, when the bar closed, I'd had 6 gin & tonics, I THINK. Many details of the night are fuzzy - I remember coming in second in the tournament, and I remember playing 2 of our "fun" tournaments - we play for drinks. But I don't remember the details of those. I remember writing my email address down for someone, but I don't remember if I wrote it down CORRECTLY. I remember paying my tab, but again, I don't remember if I gave her the right amount of money. And at 1am on a Wednesday night, I was not sober enough to drive myself home. Herb was nice enough to bring me back to his house for a little while, and we ate pizza, and I pet his borrowed cats, and then he drove me back to my car later on when I was sober enough to take myself home. And then I stumble into bed, dreading Thursday morning.

Normally when I wake up after nights like that, I regret the whole thing and vow to never drink again (and it's normally not a weekday, but that's beside the point). But that didn't happen this particular Thursday. Don't get me wrong - I was definitely hungover. But all of the tension that I'd felt the previous day was gone, and I was much more pleasant to my coworkers (some of them even commented on it). It was one of those times that reinforces the fact that it's just not worth it to work all the time and not have any fun. Sometimes 6 gin & tonics is just the right medicine to cure a bad week.

I guess we're going to do this in installments. I think the next installment will be other "work" ventures that I've had IN ADDITION to my regular job (the only one I normally have), which has been so crazy. Another installment will be a description of one of the most perfect weekends ever. Also, there are some artsy things coming up, which I'll be sure to write about, and next weekend is Memorial Day weekend, when people will be in town and it will be fun. And maybe I'll dust off my camera to take pictures of things other than my knitting (but don't worry, those pictures will be back soon, too!). But all of that will come later.

- Lizzardie, at 4:41 PM Post Link


People I Know:

Bolcar's Website Cat's Blog
Chris's Photos
Dan's LiveJournal
Vinny's Xanga
Your Name Here! :-)

Upcoming Events:

3/24 - 3/30
Atlanta/Savannah, GA?

Favorite Sites:

Cast-On
Deals2Buy
Facebook
Google News
Knitty
SilverJewelryClub
SpoilerFix
USCHO
woot!

More Liz:

Site Feed
Lizzardie Knits
Flickr

Archives:

2008:
February
January

2007:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2006:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2005:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2004:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2003:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2002:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2001:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May





This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com