Words of Lizzardie




Friday, May 19, 2006


First, the details of this top (for those that might care, and for my own record).

Pattern: Lacy Tank, from Tahki Cotton Classic Spring 2006 Collection
Yarn: Tahki Cotton Classic in (#3931), 4 skeins
Size: I (accidentally) made the XS, but blocked it into a Small/Medium. It could have been blocked just as an XS, too.
Needles: US 5

Now, why did I make it, since I am certainly not an XS, S or M. This was one of my ventures away from my job. I had mentioned (awhile ago, now, I guess) that I might knit something for Spark Crafts, and that's what this was. I went in a few weeks ago, on a Wednesday, to meet with Amy, one of the owners/founders. It was interesting, because I brought a few samples of things I'd made in, thinking she might want to look at my work, before she blindly jumped into this, but she never said a word about it. Instead, we sat down with the pattern books she had, and let me choose a summery pattern, and then we chose the yarn color (we used the recommended yarn, it's seldom I do that anymore). The color choosing was interesting, because I narrowed it down to 3 colors, hoping for one of them, and that's the color Amy picked! Anyhow, this project was really fun, and really easy for me to make. When I started, I thought it was something I'd never make for myself, without some modifications (more coverage on top, for instance). And when I finished I tried it on, and thought it was something that would never look good on me. But then I blocked it, and tried it on again, and realized that if it was knit in the right size, it actually WOULD look good on me. I got paid in store credit, so not only did I get to work on a fun project, but I can now go in and use the store credit to get the yarn to make the top for myself (probably in the same color, I like it that much). Amy seemed really excited when I brought the top back to her, so I'm definitely hoping she'll ask me to make more things in the future. More store credit = more support of this expensive hobby.

On the same Wednesday that I met with Amy, I also did another random job thing. Herb was unable to make the Wednesday night poker thing that week, and none of the other guys who work for the company could fill in for him - so his boss inquired as to whether I would be interested. I don't think Herb was too keen on the idea, but it was either me or cancel, and I guess me filling in was the lesser of two evils. :-P Anyhow, while it was not as much fun as playing (and I get fidgety, and didn't know what to do with myself, plus they were out of Bombay Sapphire - apparently when Herb and I were there the night before and finished off the bottle they had, we - err, mostly me - finished off ALL of what they had), but it was a pretty easy night of work. And we did a fun tournament drinks afterwards. So all in all, a pretty easy gig, which I wouldn't mind doing occasionally, but certainly not on a regular basis.

And that ends the tale of my other job ventures during April/May (as if I wasn't busy enough with the regular job then!).

Posted by Picasa

- Lizzardie, at 10:35 AM Post Link


People I Know:

Bolcar's Website Cat's Blog
Chris's Photos
Dan's LiveJournal
Vinny's Xanga
Your Name Here! :-)

Upcoming Events:

3/24 - 3/30
Atlanta/Savannah, GA?

Favorite Sites:

Cast-On
Deals2Buy
Facebook
Google News
Knitty
SilverJewelryClub
SpoilerFix
USCHO
woot!

More Liz:

Site Feed
Lizzardie Knits
Flickr

Archives:

2008:
February
January

2007:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2006:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2005:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2004:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2003:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2002:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2001:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May





This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com