Words of Lizzardie




Wednesday, March 22, 2006



*sigh* Picasa finally let me publish a picture. And it also lost another long post (this one my review of the RAZR). I'll update this post later on today to have the review, but I'm not writing it again right now.

EDIT: All right, I guess I'm ready to rewrite this thing.

I got my Motorola RAZR V3c for Verizon via Federal Express last Monday, which was pretty good, considering I paid nothing for the phone and nothing for the shipping, and had only ordered it 4 days prior.

There are many things I like about the phone (other than the free part). It's thin, which is awesome - fits into my pocket really well, without it feeling burdensome. It's about the same height and width of my old phone (which Susan now has), which I also like - a phone that's too small doesn't work for me. It also has a good weight to it, so it doesn't feel flimsy.

Verizon seems to be standardizing to one user interface, which happens to be the same as my old LG phone. I've read that this bothers some people, but it doesn't bother me, as I'm used to it. There are also a few decent pictures for a display image, and I was able to get a free ringtone (Linus and Lucy), so the strange already-there ringtones don't bother me either. Thus far, I've found that sounds are pretty clear, from hearing it ring (and I don't even have it turned up all the way) to hearing people talk while on the phone. There's Bluetooth, but I don't yet have a Bluetooth headset (note: you can use a wired headset with this phone, but not a normal one - there's no regular headset jack, only the connection you use to charge the phone, which I guess is like a mini-USB - I can connect it to my computer with my digital camera cable).

A few minor complaints would be that the 1.3 MP camera doesn't have flash or even a light - but I never use my cell phone camera. Also, it automatically assigned EVERY number I entered a speed dial value, in the order I entered them. Wouldn't have been so bad if I'd known this and entered them in appropriately, but I entered in alphabetically, as my contacts appear in my Contact List. Ohh, and hi, I don't need people to be consecutive speed dial numbers for their cell phone, home phone and work phone - one number would be enough.

The thing that really bugs me about the phone is the lack of ring and vibrate feature. It will ring, or it will vibrate, but it won't do both at the same time. Some phones have vibrate then ring - this doesn't have that, either. Or I shouldn't say that - the phone has the capability, the software does not. Ugh. This is not a feature that you think to research before buying the phone (not that I did that, but still). I really miss that.

I actually CALLED Verizon and Motorola about this. Verizon person told me that it was Motorola's fault, and then she gave me a (wrong) phone number for Motorola. Motorola told me it was Verizon's fault (hmm) before transfering me to a guy who deals especially with grumpy RAZR customers, I guess. He informed me that several people have called about this (the manual says the features there, no surprise) and that there MAY BE a software upgrade in the future, but he doesn't know for sure or when. I kept him on the phone until he talked to engineering, and he relayed back to me that both Verizon and Motorola engineers work on the phone (a ha! both of the previous people were lying) and the reason the feature isn't there is that there's not enough memory with the software - which I think he might be making up, but whatever - I know how often customer service lies to customers.

One of my coworkers thought this attempt was futile, but I would argue that if every customer did this every time they were unhappy, companies would be a whole hell of a lot likelier to respond (particularly if they returned the products because they were unhappy). At least I feel like I was doing my part to get my opinion across (and if a phone comes out soon with the ring/vibrate option, I may bitch at Verizon until to see if they'll give me one).

So, the summary is, other than ring/vibrate, I like my RAZR, particularly for the price (free). And Picasa, I hate you right now.

Posted by Picasa

- Lizzardie, at 12:22 PM Post Link


People I Know:

Bolcar's Website Cat's Blog
Chris's Photos
Dan's LiveJournal
Vinny's Xanga
Your Name Here! :-)

Upcoming Events:

3/24 - 3/30
Atlanta/Savannah, GA?

Favorite Sites:

Cast-On
Deals2Buy
Facebook
Google News
Knitty
SilverJewelryClub
SpoilerFix
USCHO
woot!

More Liz:

Site Feed
Lizzardie Knits
Flickr

Archives:

2008:
February
January

2007:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2006:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2005:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2004:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2003:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2002:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2001:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May





This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com