Words of Lizzardie




Thursday, March 30, 2006



Please ignore the fact that the top of my head is cut off in the picture on the right, and that I am making a funny face - I find it difficult to take a picture of myself and look at the camera in a way that does not make me look a little deformed. You're supposed to be looking at the scarf anyway!

I would have only done one picture of the scarf, but neither really came out all that well. With the picture on the chair, you get to see the shaping of the scarf - the wavy ribbing and the way it curves on the edges do the stitches. With the picture of me, you can see the beautiful teal color and fabulous sheen of the yarn. And doesn't the scarf look comfy?

Details, if anyone cares:

Pattern: Wavy from Knitty
Yarn: Cascade 220 (100% Peruvian Wool), #8422
Needles: US 7
Size: 7" by 66" is my guess.

I only did 8 1/2 repeats of the pattern, instead of 10 total, but I did end up with a scarf a little wider and just about as long as the predicted finished measurements. I guess my gauge was off more than I thought.

This scarf still needs to be washed, so that the wool will soften up. I really love the Cascade 220 - it's affordable and I think it makes a nice fabric, with a TON of colors to choose from.

I was listening to another episode of Cast On today, and I heard a song I thought some of you might enjoy. It's called "Presidential Succession," by Deirdre Flint, and it was really funny - I particularly enjoyed the part at the end where she got to Donald Rumsfeld and you heard screaming in the background. Anyhow, I can't find the song anywhere! She's on iTunes, but that song is not. She also has a website, but it's not there either. So, instead of being able to direct you to the song, I can only tell you about it.

Depending on when you decide to read my blog entries, you may end up seeing a new post, with just a picture (and the Picasa icon), no text, no border. This is because I'm done posting through Picasa - I've lost too many entries. Instead, I'm posting the pictures through Picasa and then going back through Blogger to edit - adding a border and ramblings. I just thought I'd give you all a heads up.

Speaking of knitting, I was chatting online with two of my wonderful (male) friends the other day, and suggested to one that he should learn to knit, and to the other that I could teach him to knit - one responded by saying, "Alan Turing knitted - and he led a happy life - no... wait - he ate a cyanide apple after being chemically castrated for gross indecency." The other responded with "deth." I am now done suggesting to my male friends that they have anything to do with knitting, and will now just be happy with possibly knitting things for them.

I've been thinking a lot about cooking recently. This is probably partly because I spend so much time doing it (between the planning meals and shopping for meals and the actual cooking followed by the inevitable cleaning), and partly because I usually post around lunchtime (when I feel it's okay to take a break from work, since I eat at my desk... who am I kidding, though, I take breaks from work whenever I feel like it). The whole cooking thing is a blessing and a curse. On the one hand, I feel a sense of satisfaction in knowing exactly what I'm eating, because I put it all in there, which lets me eliminate a lot of preservatives and fat and sodium. I also like finding new dishes to cook, modifying recipes to fit my mood and taste, and the actual process of cooking. On the other hand, there's the time and the mess and the living with the results of a cooking disaster for 4 meals (I typically cook for 4, and then I have a 2 lunches and 1 extra dinner). There are also days when I just don't want to cook, but know that I have to (Tuesday was one of those days - all I wanted to do when I got home from work was SIT, but it was several hours before I was able to). Also, every time I cook, I think about how difficult this would be if I had a family - having to make dinner EVERY night, after working ALL day. I wish there were more shortcuts that I could take. And there are of course, but every shortcut comes a sacrifice, and a lot of those I'm just not willing to take. It's just frustrating.

I guess this is really on my mind now, because April is coming up, and it's going to be such a busy month at work. Cooking is almost always a problem during the busy months, because I get home so late, or have work to do once I do get home. In the winter, I tried making two big pots of soup on Sunday, so I could eat them all week, and that worked really well - but that's not really an option in April. Maybe I'll do sandwiches and salads at least one week, and see how that goes.

Posted by Picasa


- Lizzardie, at 1:32 PM Post Link


People I Know:

Bolcar's Website Cat's Blog
Chris's Photos
Dan's LiveJournal
Vinny's Xanga
Your Name Here! :-)

Upcoming Events:

3/24 - 3/30
Atlanta/Savannah, GA?

Favorite Sites:

Cast-On
Deals2Buy
Facebook
Google News
Knitty
SilverJewelryClub
SpoilerFix
USCHO
woot!

More Liz:

Site Feed
Lizzardie Knits
Flickr

Archives:

2008:
February
January

2007:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2006:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2005:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2004:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2003:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2002:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2001:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May





This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com