Words of Lizzardie




Tuesday, December 06, 2005


I'm in love with Picasa's multi-exposure function, if that wasn't obvious. :-)

I got the flower this weekend while in Ithaca, and it has miraculously survived the trip back to my apartment in lovely Somerville. I'm posting it because it brings a bit of color and cheer at an otherwise gloomy time.

I really dislike winter. It's not so much the cold - though I'm always cold. I love cozy sweaters and hot drinks and roaring fires, and you can only really enjoy those things when the temperature drops below freezing. And it's not the snow - there's nothing more peaceful than snow falling on the quiet morning... and let's not forget the skiing, which does not exist without the snow.

I'd boil down my hatred of winter to two things: the lack of sunshine and holidays. With the sun, there are not only less hours of possible sunshine, but the sun I guess doesn't like the cold and hardly comes out when it can. The result is either darkness or days and days of greyish-white sky, which results in me being grumpy. It also results in me not wanting to get out of bed, ever. And so I spend all season in a grumpy, tired mood. Yuck.

And then the Holidays. Hello, Christmas, New Years and St. Valentine's Day. Ugh. I don't exactly hate Christmas, but it has become bit of a stressful time. It's sometimes difficult to deal with my family during this time, I miss certain traditions, buying gifts can be stressful (though sometimes it's also fun, if I can come up with the perfect gift for each of the dozen or so people on my gift list), and my mom gets super cranky with all the gift wrapping and cleaning. Add that to the travel, which makes me cranky, and it can end up not being so much fun. Everyone will be in Florida this year; we'll see how much more fun that is. New Years: I hate this holiday. It's like a non-holiday that people have made into a holiday which means very little to me. Last year I spent New Years alone, drinking a bottle of Cava. At least I already have plans that do not involve being by myself this year. And finally, Valentine's Day. This most lonely of lonely holidays for people who have spent every last one of these single. Ahh, independence - great as it is, it's rather depressing on this day. I end up wanting to shoot all of the happy and gushy couples - shouldn't they be celebrating their love for one another every day, as opposed to making a big deal out of it one day a year by pumping up chocolate revenues? Yes, I know I'm bitter.

And that's it. Cold, dark, bitter and alone. That's what I think of winter.

Enjoy my pink rose.

 Posted by Picasa


- Lizzardie, at 1:38 PM Post Link


People I Know:

Bolcar's Website Cat's Blog
Chris's Photos
Dan's LiveJournal
Vinny's Xanga
Your Name Here! :-)

Upcoming Events:

3/24 - 3/30
Atlanta/Savannah, GA?

Favorite Sites:

Cast-On
Deals2Buy
Facebook
Google News
Knitty
SilverJewelryClub
SpoilerFix
USCHO
woot!

More Liz:

Site Feed
Lizzardie Knits
Flickr

Archives:

2008:
February
January

2007:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2006:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2005:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2004:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2003:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2002:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2001:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May





This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com