Words of Lizzardie




Monday, November 07, 2005

I haven't updated in forever (okay, nearly 3 months). Would it make any of you feel any better to know that there are a lot of things I've meant to do but haven't done in that time period? No? Didn't think so.

Unsurprisingly, I have an open bottle of wine. 2003 Pinot Noir from Domaine du Prieure D'Amilhac. No, I can't pronounce that. It's okay, but not nearly as good as the glass I had while at Eryk and Rosanne's last night. Some Finger Lakes Cabernet Franc that I would recognize if I saw it. As Rosanne pointed out, it was a little dull (or closed, to be nicer to the wine) when you put it in your mouth but wow did it have an amazing finish. And I think that's more important.

The one thing that I really want to do is start posting pictures. The problem, though, is finding a good place to host them, and organizing them. In college, I took a TON of pictures, mostly of frat things. At some point during my last year, I organized them meticulously (because that's my way). And I haven't done anything with my digital pictures since then, really. Using 3 different computers doesn't help matters, because now they aren't even all on the same machine. I'm thinking that just like my music, I'm going to move all of my photos over to the Mac Mini. But that would mean actually taking the time to do that. So we'll see when it gets done.

I don't have a lot of spare time coming up. Work has been super busy. I was working on a project until 11:45 last Thursday night. There went Thursday night's workout. I'm still not entirely done with the project, either, but the bulk of it is out of the way, thankfully. Now there's other stuff to do.

I also have Alumni Advisor stuff to finish up. Elections were yesterday, and I didn't run again. I've had my fill. I hope Ryan enjoys being the new alumni advisor, because I'm ready to move on. Of course, I promised the Chapter that I would finish what I'm working on (getting them tax-exempt status) and I intend to keep that promise. But other than telling the Chapter what they need to do and a few more forms, I'm pretty much done (other than harassing the IRS). Still, that's time consuming.

And then I have these things coming up (this is in my AIM profile, too, but what the hell):

11/11/05: Cornell at Harvard hockey, Allston, MA
11/12/05: Aerosmith and Lenny Kravitz, Boston, MA
11/19/05 - 11/25/05: Chicago/Romeoville, IL
12/2/05 - 12/4/05: Ithaca, NY
12/9/05: Bon Jovi, Boston, MA
12/18/05 - 12/26/05: Tampa/Tarpon Springs, FL
12/31/05: Corinne's New Years Eve Party, Medford, MA

Plus maybe a Bruins game and a Celtics game thrown in there. And poker every Wednesday (when I'm in town). And other poker things. And other... things, I guess. I'm kinda looking forward to January because then maybe things will calm down and I can hibernate. I miss my quiet weekends (and yet when I have them I feel like I have no friends, go figure).

What I really wanted to write about was Philadelphia. I went there this weekend, with Kathy. We were going for SSIP, which is a fraternity conference (that was very unconference-like, but still fun). We did cool things like tour the Betsy Ross House, see the Liberty Bell, walk along South Street, run up the steps of the art museum (a la Rocky) and see an exhibit at the Franklin Institute. As someone who had never been to Philly, it was a real treat for me. I honestly haven't seen a city that I liked that much since the first time I visited Boston. Maybe that will be the next place that I go when I tire of Boston (which hasn't happened yet - but you never know, as I have a short attention span). :-)

South Street had a great store called The Sweater Outlet. I was in heaven, and am very happy with my purchases. And I of course loved the history. It's so cool to see all of the Revolutionary War stuff, both here in Boston and in Philadelphia. Both cities are so important to the history of our country, and while I remember learning all about it in school, it's something entirely different to be in these places, to be able to picture what things might have been like, to see actual artifacts. It makes me want to relearn it all.

The other super cool thing was the Body Worlds exhibit at The Franklin Institute. While I definitely think it was cool, it was also one of the most disturbing things I've ever seen. If I was ever thinking about becoming a smoker, seeing this would change my mind! (And yes, I know I've partaken in the occasional clove cigarette/cigar/pipe tobacco.) So many black lungs. There were a lot of organs on display, some showing what they looked like healthy, right next to unhealthy ones.

Kathy and Dan told me that the exhibit was controversial. I didn't really understand why. Med students study cadavers for the purpose of learning about the human body and training to be healers. Why shouldn't ordinary people have just a tiny bit of that experience? But then I got the to fetal development section of the exhibit. And it was one of the most horrifying/sad things ever. They had fetuses at many many stages of development, from 4 weeks all the way to 8 months. They also had about 5 fetuses with various disformities. One of them was Siamese twins. I'm reasonably socially liberal (despite my conservative leanings) and have always been pro-choice (even if I don't know that I could ever personally have an abortion). But I gotta say, seeing this exhibit, seeing the tiny human beings in the process of development - I don't know that I've ever sympathized with pro-lifers more. Many of them are still completely crazy, of course, and I haven't changed my position. But it makes you remember their basic premise, and I think a lot of the time we forget that.

The irony is that I'm sure it was social conservatives who were against the exhibit, and you'd think it would help their cause to have it there. That's just my opinion, though.

Switching topics to something more fun: part of the trip also involved awesome food (Minella's Diner, Isaac's, Philly cheese steaks and brunch) and Apples to Apples. I LOVED this game, and want to play more of it. Kathy and Dan had coincidentally just bought it, and were psyched to play. I was totally up for it, and was happy to have had a few hours of fun with it. It's been awhile since I've played a game that I like, as I've had a thing against board games recently. Yay Apples (and Apple Turnovers and other Apple-things).

I hope that suffices for an update. I'm too tired to continue to be semi-coherent. :-)

- Lizzardie, at 11:33 PM Post Link


People I Know:

Bolcar's Website Cat's Blog
Chris's Photos
Dan's LiveJournal
Vinny's Xanga
Your Name Here! :-)

Upcoming Events:

3/24 - 3/30
Atlanta/Savannah, GA?

Favorite Sites:

Cast-On
Deals2Buy
Facebook
Google News
Knitty
SilverJewelryClub
SpoilerFix
USCHO
woot!

More Liz:

Site Feed
Lizzardie Knits
Flickr

Archives:

2008:
February
January

2007:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2006:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2005:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2004:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2003:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2002:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2001:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May





This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com