Words of Lizzardie




Wednesday, March 30, 2005

There are plenty of "this is what's going on in my life" things to say, but why do that? There's also lots of, this is what's going on in the news sorts of things, too. I'm not going to post links, but rather, rely on my reader's intelligence in finding articles (I like Google News) if they actually want to read them.

First things first. Apparently there was a study saying that Harvard students are more unhappy than students at peer institutions (this would of course include Cornell). I'm amazed that Harvard students would be more miserable than Cornell students, which is what all of the articles imply (well, they imply that Harvard students are more unhappy than at other schools, not specifically Cornell). Except, when you read the fine print, you find that Harvard does not have the least happy students, it's just at the bottom of the list. There are 4 schools with unhappier students. What schools are they, you ask? Don't know, because the study is CONFIDENTIAL. So, really, who cares about any of the schools, except Harvard, where it's okay to violate confidentiality. How does this make it into the news (and into my inbox, no less)?

Going back another day, I read the newest study on how women make less money than men. Taking it one step further, white women make less money than Asian or African American women, only marginally better than Hispanic women (so marginal, that I wonder if it's statistically significant). When I started grumbling, my coworkers pointed out that these studies are generally done for people on the entire spectrum of career path, and it might be more interesting to look at people just out of college. They have a point, but they are both male. The one, my manager, pointed out that personally, I'm doing rather well. I think he misses the point that it's not about me. And then I remind myself that this study was for people with only a Bachelor's degree, which means I don't fall within the population of interest, anyhow. Still.

Last thing I'll say about stuff in the news is regarding the Schiavo case. Honestly, I wouldn't even say anything, if it didn't have a personal meaning to me. But it's at the bottom here, because it doesn't deserve as much news coverage as it's getting. And the only thing I'll say is that I respect the opinions of both sides of the debate, but contend that it's a private, family matter, and if I find out that any of my elected representatives voted for it (Congressman Capuano did not, I don't know about the MA Senators - they actually likely did not or skipped town, but whatever), they'll never get my vote.

That's all for my comments about the news for now. Update on my life coming soon, hopefully...

- Lizzardie, at 12:54 PM Post Link


People I Know:

Bolcar's Website Cat's Blog
Chris's Photos
Dan's LiveJournal
Vinny's Xanga
Your Name Here! :-)

Upcoming Events:

3/24 - 3/30
Atlanta/Savannah, GA?

Favorite Sites:

Cast-On
Deals2Buy
Facebook
Google News
Knitty
SilverJewelryClub
SpoilerFix
USCHO
woot!

More Liz:

Site Feed
Lizzardie Knits
Flickr

Archives:

2008:
February
January

2007:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2006:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2005:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2004:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2003:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2002:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2001:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May





This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com