Words of Lizzardie




Sunday, November 28, 2004

(Post 3/4)

Post 3 out of... hmm, maybe it will only be 3. :-)

I'm watching an episode of Law and Order that I've already seen, so why not update. :-) This will be about Ithaca.

So last weekend I went to Ithaca for Induction. Liz H and Karen tagged along, so it was nice to have company in the car, although we left really late last Thursday (I had Friday off, yay!) and I required a large Dunkin' Donuts latte halfway through the trip (yes, at 11:00pm). So yeah, I had a lot of time to just putz around. Friday I closed my old bank account (so sad after 5 years) and just generally hung out. Induction was held at the house, which was a little... weird. But yay family pictures. I snuck out for awhile with the alumni (and soon to be alumna Megan) for ice cream, which was a grand time (Jasmine's, also formerly known as Eat Dessert First, now known as Cafe Pacific, but always Jasmine's to me). We had lots of alumni gatherings/meals over the weekend, including dinner at Aladdin's on Friday, the ice cream thing, lunch at Ruloff's on Saturday, Stella's and Ruloff's for drinks Saturday night and ABC Cafe for brunch on Sunday (yikes, that's a lot). For each of those, maybe one of two active students joined us, but that's about it.

My favorite part of the weekend was visiting the Johnson Art Museum. I went with Demetri and Bianchi on Saturday, and while we did peruse the whole Museum, my favorite part was the sub-basement. There were two exhibits, one by E.V. Day, and the other by Jane Alden Stevens. I'm not really sure how to describe the work of E.V. Day, but it is mostly sculptures that involve a lot of string things. Look it up. Anyway, it was fabulous, and my favorite one of the sculptures was probably the red thong and garter belt, just because it was really risque and just oh so cool. The Stevens work was photography, and was an exhibit called Tears of Stone: World War I Remembered. It was all sorts of war photographs - monuments, tombstones, wreaths, etc... There was one that looked to be a wreath leaning against a building with water flowing down over steps. Because it was black and white, it was almost as if it could double as blood. There were cards lining the walls of the room, and people had written there thoughts on the exhibit on them. The first card I read said, "Enough". The whole exhibit - the way it was set up and the cards were really moving and beautiful. It broke my heart to see it, but it was incredible. I don't want to bring politics into this, but I think that you cannot deny that war is sad, no matter what.

On to more cheery things. Saturday night, after spending time with Scott and Julie and other leadership people doing Alumni Advisor things (mostly just brainstorming and talking, one of my favorite things to do), a bunch of us went out to the bars. It was my first time drinking with Megan, which was really exciting. I'm glad she'll be around another semester, even though she's graduating. We went to Stella's first, at my demand, because I wanted a particular drink there. I knew what it was, but couldn't remember its name. Now I know it though AND I know exactly what it's made of (according to the description at least) so maybe I can recreate it. :-) The drink is called a Drunken Hemingway. It has Stoli Vanil and lime juice with a lime wedge and pineapple wedge garnish, served in a martini glass. DELICIOUS. I love Stella's. Afterwards, we went to Ruloff's, also a good time, and then back to the house at midnight for Kathy's 21st birthday. I got her some drinkware - martini glasses and a shaker - while Demetri got her a foot stool. Kathy had given Demetri his Christmas present early, and it was a jewel-encrusted turtle. Ohh, how I love my friends. Anyway, after presents, we went to Wings Over Ithaca, because Kathy wanted a under-21 friendly venue that still serves alcohol. That was fine with me because I hadn't had wings in a long time. YUM.

Sunday was pretty chill - brunch, meeting and then heading off. Liz had to be dropped off at the Albany airport, and I then proceeded to take the wrong way home (it put me out of my way about 15 miles) but ahh well. I got to spend some time talking to Karen, which is always nice. I was EXHAUSTED when I got back, though.

Okay, that ends the Ithaca portion of my entries (though I'll be back there next weekend for a big discussion meeting and the formal, and to present my scholarship - I'm borrowing one of Cat's dresses!).

- Lizzardie, at 7:26 PM Post Link


People I Know:

Bolcar's Website Cat's Blog
Chris's Photos
Dan's LiveJournal
Vinny's Xanga
Your Name Here! :-)

Upcoming Events:

3/24 - 3/30
Atlanta/Savannah, GA?

Favorite Sites:

Cast-On
Deals2Buy
Facebook
Google News
Knitty
SilverJewelryClub
SpoilerFix
USCHO
woot!

More Liz:

Site Feed
Lizzardie Knits
Flickr

Archives:

2008:
February
January

2007:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2006:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2005:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2004:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2003:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2002:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2001:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May





This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com