Words of Lizzardie




Sunday, July 04, 2004

Tonight is a strange night. I haven't quite figured out why, but it is strange. First I should note that my new room set up bothers me somewhat, in that I can no longer prop my feet on my bed while I'm sitting at my desk. I have to content myself with propping them on the desk itself, which is definitely not the same. Other parts of it I like, though - the room. And the change in set up was necessary to put the air conditioner in.

I didn't do much today. There was a lot of trying to sleep and failing. I finished the Secretary section of the Tome. And I read a book. I started this evening, and finished, mostly in the last 3 hours, Kurt Vonnegut's Cat's Cradle. I enjoyed this one much more than Slaughterhouse Five. Having finished the book, I now want to hear President Lehman's speech from Commencement again, so I can get the point that Herb and my aunt have raved about. Apparently they do put Commencement speeches online - if you'd like to read any one of the last 10 years of Cornell's Commencement speeches, go to this site: http://cuinfo.cornell.edu/News/Speechxxxx, where xxxx is the year you want, 1994 to 2003 - but as you can see, 2004's is not yet up there, so I wait. Anyway, the book had lots of references to Cornell in it - it's strange, because the book was written in the 1960's, but the references still apply - pre-meds, Greeks, Hotelies... I was amazed, as I always am, to find out that in general, everything is always the same. The line "Eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we die." appeared in the book as well. I immediately recognized it from the DMB song "Tripping Billies," and I went to look up the lyrics to find out if it was referencing Vonnegut or something else - I couldn't tell. Anyway, it was pretty easy reading and I liked it, so that's my initial book review at 4:00am.

I took a brief break from the book to watch flies in the living room with Herb. For some reason we have a ton of flies in the house, and so we watched them fly around the living room, counting them, commenting on where they were, how many there were. The kept pausing on the chandelier, then taking off again. I would watch one fly around and around the room, and then I my eyes would hit the chandelier and everything would go white... it was always a few seconds before my eyes could focus again, and by then I had lost the fly I was watching. I swear we sat there doing this for 5 or 10 minutes. Herb commented that we were behaving like cats.

Yeah, I said it was a strange evening. Jeff and AJ just got back from wherever they were, and I promised I'd go to bed soon, so maybe I'll do that. Fireworks on the Esplanade tomorrow, whatever that means (apparently the Esplanade is this park along the Charles River on the Boston side, and unless you arrive early, you can't find a place to sit). I am excited about the fireworks. They're supposed to be spectacular.

- Lizzardie, at 4:05 AM Post Link


People I Know:

Bolcar's Website Cat's Blog
Chris's Photos
Dan's LiveJournal
Vinny's Xanga
Your Name Here! :-)

Upcoming Events:

3/24 - 3/30
Atlanta/Savannah, GA?

Favorite Sites:

Cast-On
Deals2Buy
Facebook
Google News
Knitty
SilverJewelryClub
SpoilerFix
USCHO
woot!

More Liz:

Site Feed
Lizzardie Knits
Flickr

Archives:

2008:
February
January

2007:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2006:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2005:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2004:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2003:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2002:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2001:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May





This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com