Words of Lizzardie




Monday, June 28, 2004

I am very tired and should go to bed. How many times have I said that in my life?

The past coupla days have been decent. I had an interview on Friday which I think went well. I wasn't sure about the company when I had the first interview with them, over the phone. However, I definitely warmed up to them when I went in to see them. They were a friendly, happy, talkative bunch. I feel like I connect with them. At first I was afraid I wasn't technically qualified, but their CEO has an M.Eng. in OR from Cornell as well, so I'm feeling the alumni connection, plus I think he probably has an idea of what to expect from me as far as my education. I got to have what appeared to be a spontaneous conversation with him, since he walked in while I was waiting for my third interviewer to arrive, and I really liked what he had to say. I asked about where he saw the company going, and he gave me a really thoughtful answer. He talked for awhile, but what struck me the most was when he said that while he'd like to see them go more into healthcare, 20% of GDP blah blah blah, he didn't know what would happen in 2 years. I loved hearing that, because that's exactly how I feel when I get asked where I think I'll be in 5 years. I don't know. I have an idea of what I'd like to do in the next five years, but who knows. So yeah, they're supposed to get back to me sometime this week and I'm keeping my fingers crossed. There are also other prospects still out there.

The weekend was pretty good. Herb and Jeff's friend Mel visited, so we spent some time with her. There was tapas at this restaurant called Dali that's down the street from us on Friday night. Jeff told the waiter that it was Herb's birthday (it was not). The food was pretty good, though not a huge selection and somewhat pricy. After Mel and her other friend's left, we played Scattegories at the apartment. I came in last in both games, but it was still fun. On Saturday, I went to Chinatown for dim sum. I had no idea what I was eating, but it was good and inexpensive. Then we hung out at this girl's place for awhile - FYI, MIT graduate dorms are quite nice. Mel took my side on the roommate relationship, as apparently when Jeff and Herb were dropping her off at the airport early this morning, she told them that they should treat me better. Ha ha. Today, I went to the beach with Jeff, Cheryl, Kristen - it was okay. I love the beach of course, and found some very pretty stones and shells. The beach was REALLY rocky, though - as in rocky sand and I did not enjoy that so much. Beautiful day, though. After telling Jeff that I wouldn't sunburn, I fell asleep while lying on my stomach and of course DID sunburn. Ahh well. It doesn't hurt too much and will fade in a few days, no biggie.

While I was at the beach I finished reading Slaughterhouse Five, by Kurt Vonnegut (Cornell some year I don't know). Very strange book. Decent, but strange. No real time sequence. I'm going to start reading Cat's Cradle, also by Vonnegut. This is one of the books that Jeff Lehman talked about in his speech at graduation this year. We'll see how I like Vonnegut after I've read 2 of his novels. I must say that I am enjoying being able to read again. Reading was just not what I wanted to do with my time while I was a student, but it's nice to do it again. I want to eventually add some non-fiction into my repetoir and learn some things, but for now, fiction is a nice guilty pleasure. I'm remembering why I used to love it so much. :-)

And now bedtime. Who knows what this week could bring: job news, picking up my bracelet, decisions about the living situation, etc... Next weekend is the 4th of July, and I'm super-excited to see the fireworks here - they're supposed to be great. Also, Herb and Jeff's friend AJ is visiting, and Vinny might visit, so whatever happens, it should be interesting.

- Lizzardie, at 1:07 AM Post Link


People I Know:

Bolcar's Website Cat's Blog
Chris's Photos
Dan's LiveJournal
Vinny's Xanga
Your Name Here! :-)

Upcoming Events:

3/24 - 3/30
Atlanta/Savannah, GA?

Favorite Sites:

Cast-On
Deals2Buy
Facebook
Google News
Knitty
SilverJewelryClub
SpoilerFix
USCHO
woot!

More Liz:

Site Feed
Lizzardie Knits
Flickr

Archives:

2008:
February
January

2007:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2006:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2005:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2004:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2003:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2002:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2001:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May





This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com