Words of Lizzardie




Monday, March 01, 2004

I was talking to Dan about blogs just a little bit of go, and I felt guilty, so I'm updating. Look at me update. Woo.

Things are a little better on the project front. My advisor is really great. During our weekly meeting last Monday, he put me a little at ease, but picking up on our frustration and continuing to remind us that yes, our project is really difficult, but that it's going to be really great. He also talked about how even if we don't meet the company's objectives, we've accomplished something if we've met our own. Good. But THEN, on Tuesday... you know it's funny how events line up to be good even when you think that they suck. I left my cell phone in class. This caused me to go on a frantic search for it, before getting an email from my professor saying he'd found a cell phone. So, feeling like an idiot, I run over to his office. On the way, I run into my advisor, who asked if I had a few minutes to talk. We talked about group dynamics and how I can improve things and how he purposely sets up teams so that there are character conflicts so that we learn from working in different situations. He also thinks there may be some culture conflicts as well (i.e., me talking way more loud than I should around my group members). It made me feel a WHOLE LOT better about my project, especially because he approached me with the problems I've been having for so long. In fact, last week in general was great. It started Sunday night when I found out that Herb had picked up my bracelet and sent it back with Liz Hartman, who'd been in Boston last weekend. That event set in motion a whole course of actions that concluded in me realizing not only that I'd truly been treating my friends like shit lately, even though they didn't deserve it, but I also figured out why. I've been getting told that in order to not feel sad, I just need to stop feeling sad. And I kept reiterating that in order for me to do that, I needed to know why I was feeling sad. Well, I seem to have figured it out and last week was so much easier than the rest of the semester has been.

Of course, until I flooded my kitchen last night. I guess you can't win them all, and despite me hating some aspects of my apt, other things are good.

So in honor of that, I give you a list of "Things I Can't Get Enough Of." This is a list, in no particular order, of things I'm generally obsessed with this semester. These obsessions keep me sane. :-)

  • Blueberry bagels from CTB with cream cheese: This probably seems like a weird obsession. But I have a 9:05am class this semester, followed by a 10:10am class, and each day I walk into Hollister, some Civil Engineering society is selling bagels and coffee and whatnot. I was buying a blueberry bagel and cream cheese and a Snapple everyday before I realized I was spending too much money. So I bought a ton of blueberry bagels, and some cream cheese, from CTB and started bringing my Nalgene bottle. Now I'm spending less money.
  • Cooking: Speaking of saving money, I've been trying to cook more this semester. It's healthier and cheaper, which is good. Plus I like putting dishes together, surprisingly. Now, if only the TV was in the kitchen.
  • The West Wing: You knew this one was coming, so I might as well get it out of the way now. I watch like 3 episodes a day now - pretty crazy. Cat and Ryan hate it, but too bad for them!
  • Alias: I do watch other things. And this is a great show - see Jennifer Garner kick all sorts of ass (and watch the sordid denied love affair between her and a really hot guy who's real name escapes me at the moment). I watched 3 episodes from the first season with Dan on Saturday, and that was great!
  • Average Joe 2: Hawaii: I'm almost ashamed to admit this one, because I hate being a reality TV junky. But Cat likes it, too, and it's over tomorrow anyway. I wanted to watch one episode because there was a PSP alum on there (the carrot-top looking guy, David), but I got hooked. She seems genuine, and that helps.
  • The Apprentice: (Are you noticing I'm a TV junkie this semester?) This one is reality TV, but more realistic and definitely more my style. You actually gotta be talented to stay on here, and it gives someone like me a bit of a tutorial on what to do and what not to do. And it emphasizes teamwork, which is the thing to do here at Cornell and for all the jobs I've been applying for. Plus it's suspenseful and deceitful, which always helps.
  • Looking for a job: I'm not very good at this one, but I really really really want a job. And I really really want it to be in Boston. I really need to get out of Ithaca at this point. They say that 5 years and 100 miles makes a good Cornell alumnus/a - well, I want my time and my 350 miles. And I want to stop being poor and to stop having so much homework, and I want a regular sleep schedule. Who cares if work sucks.
  • Kirigami: Ha, this one came out of nowhere. Kirigami, for those who don't know, is the Japanese art of cutting and folding, not to be confused with Origami. I got a page-a-day calendar that is Kirigami, so you just take the previous day's page, and fold it and cut it up! Into pretty designs! I'm using them to decorate my office, so that it won't be so boring, so that's good. It caused me to buy fun scissors and Demetri made fun of me.
  • Cornell Hockey: Of course. I was really bad about going to games last semester, but I've been back with a vengeance! Hehehe. Seriously, despite having had to see the team lose twice (though one of those included a spectacular fight right in front of me) the team has really come through this year, despite predictions for it not to. After another 4-point weekend, we earned a first-round bye and a quarterfinal home-ice advantage for the ECAC playoffs! Yay! So either two or three more games for me before I leave Cornell. Let's Go Red! (See? I have school spirit.)
  • Sleep: Yeah, this one's surprising. And I almost don't like it, because I have shorter days now, but I need my sleep. Since I really really like sleep, though, it's not so bad. I just have to make better use of my waking time.

I believe that's all. I was having trouble at the end. Other things to mention are that Bill Gates came to Cornell last week and I got to see him speak about CS in the future, and Founders Day is this weekend! Herb, Bolcar and Helen will all be here, and that makes me happy. :-)

That's all for now. Time for some of my precious sleep. :-)

- Lizzardie, at 2:06 AM Post Link


People I Know:

Bolcar's Website Cat's Blog
Chris's Photos
Dan's LiveJournal
Vinny's Xanga
Your Name Here! :-)

Upcoming Events:

3/24 - 3/30
Atlanta/Savannah, GA?

Favorite Sites:

Cast-On
Deals2Buy
Facebook
Google News
Knitty
SilverJewelryClub
SpoilerFix
USCHO
woot!

More Liz:

Site Feed
Lizzardie Knits
Flickr

Archives:

2008:
February
January

2007:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2006:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2005:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2004:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2003:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2002:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2001:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May





This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com