Words of Lizzardie




Tuesday, January 13, 2004

Cat posted the link to the Gender Genie in her blog today, and I was already test it out on my blog, until I read further and learned that in her boredom, Cat had already tested my blog. It says I'm female, so go me. :-) Anyway, I took that as a sign that I need to update.

So I'm back in Ithaca after 3 weeks of doing absolutely nothing at home. Except sleeping. On an air mattress that was uncomfortable. Go me.

Anyway, let's get back to the other things that happened. My sister and I played Santa Liz and Santa Kim and got the family a puppy for Christmas. Her name is Maggie (after Maggie Simpson), and they told us she's a shepherd mix, but she looks to have some beagle and maybe even some doberman in her. Time will tell, I guess, but my mom's hoping her ears will stick up like a German Shepherd's do. :-P You can see a picture of her here.

Getting a puppy is no easy feat. First of all, when I came home, my family was talking about it, and my sisters all wanted a puppy, but my dad was like, "If Santa brings a puppy here, he's not getting through this door." My mom looked at him and said, "If Santa doesn't bring a puppy, YOU will have problems." So I was a little nervous about the whole thing right when my sister approached me about it, but went ahead anyway. Having my mom's friend Joleen's help was useful, and later my mom gave us her blessing. I put about 200 miles on my car driving around the Chicago suburbs, looked at a lot of dogs, learned we had to take the cat to get rabies shots and other insanity before we finally found Maggie at a shelter in Chicago on Western Ave. I think they were glad to have someone from the suburbs adopting. We couldn't pick Maggie up until Dec. 26th, so I took pictures and my sister and I wrapped a box with the pictures in a frame and a stuffed German Shepherd dog. So we see which parent won that battle. :-) And as Herb pointed out to me, yes, we did purposely add another female to our house.

When we brought the puppy home, we learned a few things. One is that the cat hates her. Absolutely despises the puppy. She'll have to get over it, though as of when I left on Friday, she hadn't. Also, Emilee felt bad at first and wouldn't go see the puppy, because the new puppy made her miss Chloe. My mom told her that she could love the new puppy as much as she loved Chloe, and she warmed up. It's pretty easy to tell that Emilee is still sad about Chloe, but my mom even more so.

Well, then on New Years Eve, Maggie started acting really lethargic. New Years Day, my mom thought she might have gotten into chocolate, so she took her to the emergency vet. They thought she had parvo, this really deadly puppy virus, along with 3 different kinds of worms (yes, I know, disgusting), so they kept her so they could put her on IV fluids and antibiotics. Fun. The next day my mom took her to another vet. She stayed overnight again. Finally that Saturday she was able to take her to our vet... she didn't have parvo, she'd just had a false positive test because she'd recently started the first set of vaccinations for it. So she got to come home! She had to wear this silly looking cone on her head so that she wouldn't chew at the catheter in her leg. See a picture of her in it here!

So now Maggie is home and fattening up (her collar fits her now) and I'm not there to see her anymore. :-( Ahh well.

All right, that's enough for now. I'll try and update again tomorrow about the rest of break.

- Lizzardie, at 1:16 AM Post Link


People I Know:

Bolcar's Website Cat's Blog
Chris's Photos
Dan's LiveJournal
Vinny's Xanga
Your Name Here! :-)

Upcoming Events:

3/24 - 3/30
Atlanta/Savannah, GA?

Favorite Sites:

Cast-On
Deals2Buy
Facebook
Google News
Knitty
SilverJewelryClub
SpoilerFix
USCHO
woot!

More Liz:

Site Feed
Lizzardie Knits
Flickr

Archives:

2008:
February
January

2007:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2006:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2005:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2004:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2003:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2002:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2001:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May





This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com