Words of Lizzardie




Thursday, August 14, 2003

Not much to say right now, I suppose. It's just that knowing me, this could perhaps be the last time I update until classes start, and after that, who knows how long until I give an update.

I had yesterday off and today off from work. Then I work 7 days in a row, then I'm done with Brookstone forever! Let the countdown begin! To celebrate, yesterday I did laundry and started packing. Today I went to York Beach, which was pretty fun, even though it was by myself. I sunned and read and even went in the cold water for a few minutes. Then I explored a few shops and finally bought a big 2 pound box of Salt Water Taffy from the Goldenrod. I've been dying to get some of this stuff all summer. Yum. I live for Salt Water Taffy - I used to be sure and by a big box every year when I went to the Illinois State Fair with the marching band. And Illinois is nowhere near salt water! So this stuff is great, if only because you can SEE the salt water from where the taffy is. In fact, you can see the taffy being made as well. Look one way, see salt water, do a 180, see taffy being made! Wonderful!

My little outting was a bit spoiled, though, since I was pulled over on my way back. York Police are dumb. I was pulled over because I apparently accelerated through a changing light. Ha. I remember there being a line of cars and I wasn't paying attention so I accelerated when I realized there was no longer anyone in front of me, and then I got up to the light, and it changed yellow, and I went through it - it was a reasonable yellow light to go through, or so I thought. And I of course accelerated through the turn because that's what you're supposed to do! There have been times when I've gone through changing lights and prayed that I didn't get pulled over because I had cut it so close - this was not one of those times. Anyway, the officer pulled me over, got my license and registration and told me what I had done, then went to check everything out. No ticket, no warning, so that was good - I was just annoyed. Ohh, and then he came back and wanted to be sure I had glasses or was wearing contact lenses. Whatever, I guess. Nothing on my record in almost two years, and nothing at all in Maine, so I guess that was helpful in me not getting a ticket or anything.

Last night was the Membership Development Committee meeting, which was fun. I'm starting to get excited about working on Phi Sigma Pi stuff again, even though this time it will be as an alumna. So many different roles I've had in such a short period of time! We'll see how everything goes soon enough, I suppose.

I hate living alone, by the way. I've been living alone for about 2 weeks now and it's terrible. Luckily only one more week. It's not terrible in the loneliness sense, really, as you might think so. I mean, that's no fun but I talk to my friends online and I got to see lots of people this past weekend. Plus I have a fairly social job. No, it's more... I woke up last night, around 3:00am. I was sleeping on the futon in the living room because of the air conditioner being in there. What woke me up was a noise that sounded a whole hell of a lot like an alarm. Two short beeps followed by a long pause and repeat. It definitely sounded like it was in the apartment and it carried on for a few moments. Now, normally I wake up from terrible nightmares or something and am able to calm myself down knowing someone else is in the apartment - it's just comforting knowing you live with other people. And despite having locked the front door and knowing all the windows were locked (there have been attacks on women in Durham - a few towns over - recently, so I'm taking care of myself), I was petrified that someone had broken into the apartment. I was too scared to move. In fact, adding to my terror was that I could see my shadow on the ceiling from the light shining from outside. I just willed myself to go back to sleep, and eventually I did, but I was so upset and scared and helpless. Of course, my fears were entirely unfounded, though I was still on edge when I woke up again later in the morning. But how I can't wait to not live alone again, even though it'll probably mean reporting my comings and goings again. I just hated that feeling of being so scared.

Schedule of events:
Today, 8/14: free!
Tomorrow, 8/15: Work 10:00am - 6:30pm, then maybe down to Somerville/Cambridge?
Saturday, 8/16: Work 10:00am - 9:00pm (yeah, I know, it sucks, but it's a favor and I'm getting paid overtime)
Sunday, 8/17: Work, probably 10:00am - 6:30pm
Monday, 8/18: Work some period of 8 hours
Tuesday, 8/19: Work some period of 8 hours
Wednesday, 8/20: Work some period of 8 hours, Happy Birthday Amy!
Thursday, 8/21: Work some period of 8 hours, shopping! I'm finally going to buy that corkscrew I want and a new down comforter and pillow set
Friday, 8/22: Pack pack pack, leave Dover, NH, around 8:00pm and arrive in Princeton, NJ, around 2:00am
Saturday, 8/23: Fun in Princeton with Amy and her friends
Sunday, 8/24: Leave Princeton, NJ, at some point, and arrive in Ithaca, NY, some 4 hours or so later
Monday, 8/25: Orientation, 10:00am - 12:30pm, TA Training, 2:00pm - 5:30pm
Tuesday, 8/26: TA Training, 9:00am - 4:00pm, Happy Birthday Rachel!
Wednesday, 8/27: Last day of freedom before becoming a graduate student
Thursday, 8/28: First day of classes

At some point in there I have to pack (other than Friday), then unpack, pick up my key to my apartment, pick up my key to my office (and get some combinations), get the rest of my stuff from Interlaken, other fun moving stuff. Yay. Wish me luck!

- Lizzardie, at 5:52 PM Post Link


People I Know:

Bolcar's Website Cat's Blog
Chris's Photos
Dan's LiveJournal
Vinny's Xanga
Your Name Here! :-)

Upcoming Events:

3/24 - 3/30
Atlanta/Savannah, GA?

Favorite Sites:

Cast-On
Deals2Buy
Facebook
Google News
Knitty
SilverJewelryClub
SpoilerFix
USCHO
woot!

More Liz:

Site Feed
Lizzardie Knits
Flickr

Archives:

2008:
February
January

2007:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2006:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2005:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2004:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2003:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2002:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2001:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May





This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com