Words of Lizzardie




Wednesday, December 19, 2001

Countdown: 26 days in CT, 10 days at PB.

So much to say, yet I don't even want to write it down right now. Need to, though, before I forget everything. AHHH!!! Staying late at work kinda sucks (at least this late - 5:30 I can handle - 6 is pushing it). Moving on....

So, first things first. Yesterday was a pretty bad day. I got quite a bit of bad news that is not worth going into right now. Let's just say that there are two groups of people that I'm unhappy with: Cornell University and my extended family. The university currently has a hypocritical image in my mind, and I don't think that will change anytime soon. As for my family, for those of you who don't know, we're a pretty messed up group of people and I'm tired of the bullshit that I see from some of them. They spread rumors (untrue ones at that) like high school students and it's extremely disturbing. I'm tired of having to be some sort of go-between or for getting slack for not choosing sides. And yet....I know one day I'll have to choose sides and I know what side I will be choosing. That's what's disturbing the most, I think. Christmas Eve is going to be a nightmare, I can feel it. At least I have the Candlelight Service to look forward to at my church and Christmas Day. None of this makes any sense, I know, but I don't feel like going into all the sordid details of how cruel, bitter and generally messed up my family members are - it's way too long of a story.

On to other bad things....I still don't have Christmas presents for Christina and Kim, and Christmas is, um, 6 days away. Not good. My sisters are impossible to shop for, it seems. I can't be this hard to shop for. I don't think I am. Besides, I'm a terrible present-buyer. I never know what to get anyone. ARGH. I have to get them something...what to do, what to do.... =/

On to good things....so, I went to this panel discussion on Operations Research/Management Science today. It was AWESOME. =) First of all, time out of work to go to this thing....LOTS of time, because it was in Manhattan (at The Penn Club) and I had to get down there. Second, phenomenally good lunch, paid for by Pitney Bowes - salmon and caesar salad and grilled vegetables and these really wonderful ravioli things....YUM. And then there was the discussion itself....when I go to these things I usually try and sit in the background and kind of observe - I learn best that way, because I'm horrible when it comes to thinking of questions to ask. But of course I wasn't able to here. They were ecstatic to have students there (it was presented by Informs) and wanted to hear all about me. But they said some really great things about OR/MS, things that make me really excited to be in this field. It's funny - the one thing that bothers me about my major the most, I think, is that it's a lot of lecturing and handing in problem sets, which leads to a lack of good communication skills. This was discussed a lot. Yay for that - it's not just a Cornell thing. I also got to make a few contacts, and to hear about different industries (but mostly CONSULTING - my true interest) and what they're doing and how the recession and September 11th has affected them all. It was really, really great. OR gets such a bad rap at Cornell, but it's just a really, really fascinating field - it's just that not a lot of people understand what it is that we do (this was also talked about - one of the first things that was asked was if someone could give a definition of OR/MS). I should really consider joining the Informs group at Cornell next semester.....it's amazing how much more excited I am about OR after talking with people who actually DO OR stuff for a living and who are excited about it themselves - none of the OR majors I've met at Cornell are excited about it, which hasn't led to my enthusiasm. BUT NOW....

After the discussion, I decided to walk around a little bit. It was a perfect day to be in the city (ANY CITY)....clear skies, about 45 degrees...nice and crisp, just the way I like it. =) I walked to Rockefeller Plaza to look at the tree -that was pretty cool. I also got to see the window displays at Saks Fifth Ave - they were really cool. Jaclyn told me I should go and look at the window displays at Macy's, but that was in the opposite direction (The Penn Club is on 44th Street). Another time, I suppose. AND, I avoided going into any stores!!! It was so, so tempting, too - 5th Ave is like the Magnificent Mile in Chicago - EVERYTHING is there!!! Ahhh, but what a good day. =) Sure beats yesterday!

- Lizzardie, at 5:48 PM Post Link


People I Know:

Bolcar's Website Cat's Blog
Chris's Photos
Dan's LiveJournal
Vinny's Xanga
Your Name Here! :-)

Upcoming Events:

3/24 - 3/30
Atlanta/Savannah, GA?

Favorite Sites:

Cast-On
Deals2Buy
Facebook
Google News
Knitty
SilverJewelryClub
SpoilerFix
USCHO
woot!

More Liz:

Site Feed
Lizzardie Knits
Flickr

Archives:

2008:
February
January

2007:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2006:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2005:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2004:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2003:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2002:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2001:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May





This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com