Words of Lizzardie




Monday, September 10, 2001

All right, I've been back in CT for a week now, so here's the scoop so far, broken into 4 categories (because I'm an engineer and analytical like that): house, work, social and school.

HOUSE: The house is really nice. It's huge, with really modern furnishings. It's at the end of a dead-end street, so it's safe, too. The guy I'm renting from is a police officer, with a young Brazilian wife (her English is broken but she's really nice) and a 9 month old son. They rent out rooms to 3 other people: David, who's never around and who's moving out next week, Danielle, who's nice enough but really needy, and Jamis, who's a nice guy but keeps trying to get me to go to gay clubs with him (not my thing). Everyone is trying really hard to make sure that I feel included and that I'm having fun. It's a bit hard for me, though, because I feel a bit out of place (Connecticut is a new experience for me) and typical of me, I'm having trouble letting my guard down. I do like living here, though, despite the long drive to work and the fact that my room has no windows.

WORK: Pitney Bowes is the most boring place to work ever. I can classify previous jobs two ways: there was always something to do or there was only sometimes something to do but the job was designed that way. This does not fit into that category. I feel like I should be productive, but that's hard to do when I'm not being given any work. I have one project - to interview people about their suggestions for a database. I know it's a useful assignment - my supervisor reviewed my work today, and he's incorporating a lot of the things I have into a presentation he's giving. BUT, I only spend about 2 hours a day on it. The rest of the time is spent checking my email, surfing the web, wandering around the building, eating (yeah, yeah, I know), pretending to look busy, etc.... Why are they paying me so much money to do nothing? Sarah (the other co-op) feels the same way. She, by the way, is very nice. We had classes together over the summer, so I already knew her and it's kind of nice to have a friend around work. She's commuting from New Jersey, though, and since I'm in the other direction, it's not like we can hang out after work. When I visit Ithaca she may come with for the ride (since she doesn't have a car and wants to visit as well), so it will be nice to have the company and someone to share the gas money!

SOCIAL: Okay, this one is going to be short. I spend my spare time doing several things: reading (which is kinda nice - don't often have the time to do reading for fun anymore), watching TV (the novelty is wearing off, but maybe it will get better when the new seasons start), being online hoping one of my friends will be around and will have a few minutes to talk to me (ha! this doesn't happen - everyone is so busy with classes). It's pretty terrible, actually - I don't know anyone out here and I don't know my way around. I don't work close to work, and no one there is young enough for me to hang out with anyway. And I'm so bad at meeting people. It's one thing at school - you're supposed to meet people there. That's half the reason you go (maybe not half, but a large part). I may join the fitness center at work, but it's hard, because all I want to do after work is get back to the house, since the drive is so long and I'm so tired (getting up at 5:30 every morning really sucks). I guess I'll have to make myself, because otherwise I have nothing to do. I did go to the mall the other day and that was nice (good mall), but I only have so much money to spend on clothes and food.

SCHOOL: Wow, do I miss Ithaca. Not just because it's Ithaca and I love it there. I miss my friends. I would so much rather be taking classes right now. Sure, it's stressful and hard and I don't get any sleep. But you all have no idea how lucky you are. It's also social and fun - there are people there who know you and understand what you're going through. You can have lunch with dinner people every day. Go to parties, go to meetings, etc... I miss it so, so much. I'm not one to get homesick, but I'm definitely schoolsick. You should all call me, because 1) it's a local call and 2) I miss you all terribly!!! =( January cannot come soon enough!!! I was thinking of coming up this weekend, but decided it's way too soon. It isn't healthy (or economical) for me to come up every other weekend. Instead, I'll probably come up the last weekend in September - the 28th, 29th, 30th. I hope you're all excited about the prospect of seeing me!!!! In the meantime, I'm looking forward to the Cornell-Yale game on the 22nd, where I get to see Amy, even if she'll be in a bear suit. I miss you all so, so much!!!

- Lizzardie, at 9:45 PM Post Link


People I Know:

Bolcar's Website Cat's Blog
Chris's Photos
Dan's LiveJournal
Vinny's Xanga
Your Name Here! :-)

Upcoming Events:

3/24 - 3/30
Atlanta/Savannah, GA?

Favorite Sites:

Cast-On
Deals2Buy
Facebook
Google News
Knitty
SilverJewelryClub
SpoilerFix
USCHO
woot!

More Liz:

Site Feed
Lizzardie Knits
Flickr

Archives:

2008:
February
January

2007:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2006:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2005:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2004:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2003:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2002:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2001:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May





This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com