Words of Lizzardie




Thursday, May 31, 2001

I was going to take a few minutes to voice my irritations at a few things. Nothing really big - my shower likes to change water temperature completely randomly, my floors are uneven, all employees in the Cornell financial aid office are double agents for Satan - nothing big, really. But now something big has come up, and therefore, I'm going to have to bitch quite a bit about it.

So, I get up this morning, as I am wont to do on days I have class, a little before 8. I turn on my computer, then proceed to get dressed, brush my teeth and make myself a large mug of coffee with a good dousing of cream and sugar. I then head off to acctng like all good students do. After acctng, I always come back to take a shower and make myself breakfast. So, I walk into my apartment and head towards my room. When I get there, I see that my alarm clock is not on. I look and my computer is off as well. I find this strange, as I left them both on while I was gone. When I realized that the power was off in the entire apartment, I call the wonderful people at NYSEG. Turns out, our power was scheduled to be turned off this morning because the subletter who was supposed to call and put the electric bill in his name (David) never did.

Well, no big deal, right? I mean, David was there, and I basically threw the phone at him, telling him he needed to get our power back on. So he talks to the people at NYSEG, gives them all of the information they need and everything. So we should get power now, right? NO! We don't get power until tomorrow. So my first thought is damn, I can't go a day without my computer! I then think, well, it's a good think that I don't have class tomorrow, because I would never be able to get up in time without my alarm clock blaring at me. But then I realize that these are insignificant compared to the other ramifications (I'm using big words - can you tell I'm upset?) - I can't cook, using the stove or the microwave. I can't open the fridge or freezer, because I need to keep it as cold as possible in there for as long as possible. I don't even know how long it will stay cold in there, so who knows how much food is going to be spoiled because of this. Come 8, 9 o'clock tonight, I'm either going to have to leave the apartment or go to bed, because no electricity means no lights. Those in Ithaca know that lately it's been pretty chilly out (maybe this is normal here, but I'm not used to it for end of May/beginning of June), but guess what? That's right - I have no heat tonight. And given how cold I was yesterday when the thermostat was set to 60 degrees, I can only imagine how cold I'm going to be now that there will be no thermostat to monitor the temperature. And to top it all off, I'm the one who has to wait around tomorrow for NYSEG to show up.

David did apologize to me, saying that neither he or Eric (the other subletter -they're friends) have lived in an apartment before. Okay, so I've kinda lived in an apartment before - the townhouses, I suppose - but I've never actually had to deal with bills, other than my credit cards, which I monitor with the eye of a hawk. But seriously, how much common sense does it take to know that electricity is pretty important. I mean, if I had to, I could get along fine without a phone. It might drive me nuts, but I could do it. Cable - I've done fine without that for the past two years. Even internet, my biggest connection to the world outside of Ithaca, could be expensed. I could just live in the computer lab. But electricity? I need my electricity!!!!!

- Lizzardie, at 2:28 PM Post Link


People I Know:

Bolcar's Website Cat's Blog
Chris's Photos
Dan's LiveJournal
Vinny's Xanga
Your Name Here! :-)

Upcoming Events:

3/24 - 3/30
Atlanta/Savannah, GA?

Favorite Sites:

Cast-On
Deals2Buy
Facebook
Google News
Knitty
SilverJewelryClub
SpoilerFix
USCHO
woot!

More Liz:

Site Feed
Lizzardie Knits
Flickr

Archives:

2008:
February
January

2007:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2006:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2005:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2004:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2003:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2002:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January

2001:
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May





This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com